April 24, 2013
We all know full well the dangers of tanning beds and laying out in the sun, yet we all still want that golden glow, right?! Well thanks to advancements in self-tanning products, we finally have some great alternative options to choose from that won’t damage our skin.
Being Irish and German, I am about as white as they come. Like seriously, borderline albino. I spent much of my early 20’s in tanning beds and by the time I was 27 I was noticing an excessive amount of sun damage to my face. I then spent a couple of years trying laser treatments and skin bleaching products to try and eliminate the brown spots from my face. But here is the dilemma: I feel much more fabulous and self-confident with a tan. Because of this I have become the master of self-tanners. I have tried tons of different brands, many great…many not so much. Recently I tried Playboy’s GLITZ Sunless Spray. This stuff provides a serious bronze glow. It’s hyper-pigmented and contains bronzers that act as a guide for application. Color developed considerably within a few hours. Check out my “before & after pics” below!
Click Here to BUY NOW!
There are some important rules to follow when applying self-tanning products to ensure you get the most natural and even tan possible…
- Shower and exfoliate your entire body prior to applying tanner. Focus heavily on areas like elbows and knees that tend to have rough, dry skin.
- Towel dry and use a light moisturizer, again focusing more on areas like elbows and knees.
- Apply a barrier such as Vaseline or oil to cuticles on hands and feet.
- Once you have allowed a few minutes for the lotion to be absorbed, you can start with the tanner. Begin with the can about 10-12 inches away from the skin and apply in in smooth, even strokes. It is better to start with less and add more if need be.
- Wait at least 10 minutes before putting on clothes. I hate the feeling of tanner on my skin, so I prefer to apply at night and wash off in the morning.
- When you rinse off, only use a gentle cleanser and avoid shaving or exfoliating.
- It’s important to keep your skin moisturized after applying tanner. This prevents the pigment from settling into the lines on your skin.
- Last, but not least…enjoy your fabulous new tan!
Click Here to BUY NOW!
*Warning: Use in a well-ventilated area. Also, many tanners contain bronzers which can make a mess of your bathroom. I recommend applying in either a bath tub or shower to avoid staining carpets and towels.
April 3, 2013
With the weather warming up it’s time to start thinking about getting into shape for bathing suits, flip flops and sunny days. It is also tax season and for many of us a time where we need to watch our wallets. So in the spirit of cash saving, we came up with some DIY beauty treatments where you can save BIG and get the same fabulous results as you would at the spa.
*Just for fun we did a comparison on how much you would actually save by doing these treatments at home and it was pretty shocking. On average if you went to the salon for a pedicure, deep conditioning treatment and a body scrub, you are looking at about $190.00 (not including gratuity). If you purchase the products mentioned below (some of which you may already own) you would spend around $87.00 and get MULTIPLE uses out of them! Enjoy!
What you’ll need:
1. Exfoliate feet thoroughly using the body scrub. Make sure to rub in circular motions and spend a little extra time on the areas where skin is calloused or
or rough. Rinse.
2. Follow up by applying lotion or body butter. You can apply a generous amount to especially dry feet for extra moisture. Your skin WILL soak it up.
3. Next apply the cuticle oil to your nail beds and cuticles. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
4. Use the cuticle pusher to gently push back your cuticles. Don’t push too hard, as you can end up breaking the delicate skin.
5. Clean nail beds with warm soapy water to remove the oil and lotion from your finger nails before applying polish.
6. Apply your favorite nail polish color for spring and voila! Gorgeous feet ready to rock your favorite sandals!
What you’ll need:
1. Cleanse using the hydrating body wash in the shower and rinse.
2. Follow up using the body scrub. Again rub into skin using circular motions focusing more heavily on areas that need a little extra love, like knees and
elbows. Rinse. Because the scrub has an oil base, it will leave skin feeling soft even before applying the body butter. It’s like double the hydration!
3. After showering pat yourself dry with a soft towel. Generously apply body butter, let absorb for a few minutes and enjoy your sexy, soft and glowing new
What you’ll need:
1. Shampoo hair thoroughly and rinse.
2. Towel dry hair leaving it relatively damp.
3. Apply conditioning treatment section by section, combing it through as you go.
4. Once all of your hair is saturated, pin it up and cover with the shower cap.
5. Use the blow dryer to apply heat. Make sure to keep the dryer moving so you don’t melt the shower cap. Heating up the hair opens the cuticle and allows for the product to be absorbed more efficiently. Continue with this step for approximately 5 minutes.
6. Rinse. If you desire extra conditioning you can also leave the mask on overnight and rinse in the morning.
March 27, 2013
I’m a huge fan of natural products and super excited at the addition of one of our newest lines Petal Fresh Botanicals. They utilize the medicinal properties of organic herbs to cleanse instead of harsh chemical additives. As much as I am a supporter of natural and organic products, often times they don’t live up to their promises. I’m happy to say, I have not been disappointed by Petal Fresh yet!
So far I have tried their Whitening Rose & Lemon Facial Cleanser and the Blackberry & White Facial Mud Mask. Both of these products come from their “Whitening” line which is designed to diminish the appearance of sun damage and age- spots. My favorite! Pretty much any product that promises to help eliminate my sun damage, I am all over it.
I can’t say if these will actually do anything about the discoloration on my face (I haven’t used them long enough), but I am very pleased with the results thus far. The Rose & Lemon Facial Cleanser smells super clean and fresh, with a light scent of both rose and lemon that mesh together nicely. I was also really fond of the consistency and how much it suds up. I know suds don’t equal cleanliness, but there is small part of my brain that still equates the two, so I like that this cleanser provides me that illusion!
After cleansing I followed up with the Blackberry & White Facial Mud Mask. Again, I have tried so many natural products that claim to be something they are not. This mud mask lives up to its promise. I have dry skin, so many clay or mud masks I have used in the past were way to drying. I was pleased and a bit surprised to discover that this mask left my face feeling clean, but still very soft and moisturized. Finally!
Overall I had a great experience with both of these products and would absolutely recommend them. They are also totally affordable…need I say more?! Visit SFRbeauty.com to learn more about all the Petal Fresh products.